Key Quotes from Jody-Wilson Raybould’s Justice Committee Testimony
· I experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion.
· While the meeting was not about the issue of SNC and DPAs the PM raised the issue immediately.
· The PM jumped in, stressing there is an election in Quebec and that “I am an MP in Quebec – the Member for Papineau”
· I spoke to Minister Morneau on this matter…I told him that engagements from his office to mine on SNC had to stop – that they
were inappropriate. They did not stop.
· PMO Advisor Mathieu Bouchard said “we can have the best policy in the world but we need to be re-elected.”
· Various officials also urged me to take partisan political considerations into account – which is clearly improper for me to do.
· Gerry (Butts) said “there is no solution here that doesn’t involve some interference.”
· Katie (Telford) was like “we don’t want to debate legalities anymore.”
· (PCO Clerk Michael Wernick said of Justin Trudeau) I think he is gonna find a way to get it done one way or another.
· On January 7, I received a call from the PM and was informed I was being shuffled, I will say that I stated I believed the reason was because of the SNC matter.
· As part of this conversation, the Clerk tells the Deputy that one of the first conversations that the new Minister will be expected to have with the PM will be on SNC Lavalin.
· These events constituted pressure to intervene in a matter and that this pressure was not appropriate.